[K12OSN] K12LTSP, Squid & SquidGuard

Michael Elliott melliott at rpmhealthstop.org
Fri Mar 5 08:58:04 UTC 2004

Hello and thank you for taking the time to read my message.

I have started working with the K12LTSP 4.0 on a new system and I have a
quick question or two.  The LTSP  will pretty much be used only for Word
Processing, Spreadsheets & Internet access.  I would like to monitor
internet access specifically.  I am assuming that Squid and SquidGuard
are installed with the complete LTSP install.  I was able to install
Webmin which told me that Squid was running.  In addition when I checked
the system log I can see where SquidGuard was started.  I was able to
locate the blacklist folder and checkout some of the addresses and urls
of sites that are supposed to be blocked.  However, when I type in the
url via lynx and mozilla I am able to get to the sites.  I am not
familiar enough to know where to go from here.  I have attempted to find
HowTo's but the links are either dead links or the files that are
referenced in the Howto are in different locations, so I figured it
would be best for me to post here and ask for advice.

Concerning the monitoring, I read that Sarg would be best for monitoring
internet usage.  Naturally, if my squid/squidguard do not appear to be
fully working I figured I had better not get too far gone.  Does anyone
know of a HowTo that would assist with Sarg?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as would links to good sites for
reference.

Thanks,
Michael