[K12OSN] K12LTSP, Squid & SquidGuard

Jim Wildman jim at rossberry.com
Fri Mar 5 16:48:09 UTC 2004

On Fri, 5 Mar 2004, Michael Elliott wrote:

> Hi Richard,
>
> Thanks for the reply.  You are correct I was trying to use the server to
> connect to the internet.  When I logged in to a client machine, I then
> launched Mozilla and entered in one of the sample URLs that are supposed
> to be blocked.  As expected, it was open.  So I entered the preferences
> of Mozilla.  I changed the Direct connection to the internet to a Manual
> proxy configuration, I entered in the address of my K12LTSP
> (192.168.0.208) & Port 80.  To be safe I restarted the browser, but I
> received an alert - The connection was refused when attempting to
> contact the proxy server.  This was just going to google.com.  I then
> for the heck of it changed the proxy address to the LAN side IP address
> that is see by our main LAN (192.168.1.208).  Same alert.  So finally I
> attempted to change the proxy setting to "Automatic proxy configuration"
> setting to my K12LTSP address.  Unfortunately, I could get internet
> access to everthing once again.

Autoconfiguration does not work.
You need to point your proxy to port 3128 (for just Squid) or 8080 for Dan's
Guardian (assuming the defaults).  If you want it to work automatically,
then you have to setup transparent proxying.

Dan and squidGuard work a bit differently, but you can use both.  The
big differences are..
Dan will check the content and attempt to grade the site on the fly.  SG
does not.
SG is more configurable by time, day, requesting machine, etc.

So to do the obligatory text drawing..

client -> tranparent proxy on 80 -> proxy:8080 (Dan) -> proxy:3128 (Squid) -> SquidGuard -> Internet

If the transparent proxy is left out, set browser to use port 8080 or
3128 of the proxy.

If Dan is left out, set browser to point to port 3128 of the proxy.

each layer (transparent proxy, Dan, Squid and SquidGuard) can include
it's own access control lists, databases etc.

Jim Wildman, CISSP, RHCE                                jim at rossberry.com
http://www.rossberry.com