[K12OSN] Client Display/Boot Problem

Shawn Powers spowers at inlandlakes.org
Sat Mar 6 14:25:01 UTC 2004

David Beach wrote:
> the server. However, as it nears the end of booting, some message comes up
> about difficulty the video card then the screen goes blank. And stays that

Forgive me for being so brief (I normally yammer on and on...) but I'm
getting a migraine, so I only have a few minutes before "doom and gloom"

It sounds like your monitor can't handle the resolution the ati card
(the mach64 is a great card BTW) is defaulting to.  You want to edit the
file:

/opt/ltsp/i386/etc/lts.conf   (I think that's the right path)

and change the modeline settings.  The file is well documented.  If you
are just trying to get the one client to boot, you can change the
settings in the "default" section, rather than making a section for your
specific client.  Remember that if you add other clients, you may have
to set up a "list of settings" for each client...

Anyway, look at the X_MODE_0 stuff (I think that is the term... X_MODE
something anyway... my head really is starting to hurt...)  and set the
screen resolution stuff to something lower.  The blank screen usually
means the monitor can't handle the refresh rate, etc.

I'm sorry I can't go into more detail, but play with that file, and you
should get a working client.

Feel free to post your progress/frustrations to the list.  We're a
pretty friendly bunch. :)

-Shawn

--
Shawn Powers