[K12OSN] Client Display/Boot Problem

Andy Rabagliati andyr at wizzy.com
Sun Mar 7 07:44:00 UTC 2004

On Sat, 06 Mar 2004, Shawn Powers wrote:

> David Beach wrote:
> >the server. However, as it nears the end of booting, some message comes up
> >about difficulty the video card then the screen goes blank. And stays that
>
> It sounds like your monitor can't handle the resolution the ati card
> (the mach64 is a great card BTW) is defaulting to.  You want to edit the
> file:
>
> /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/lts.conf   (I think that's the right path)
>
> and change the modeline settings.  The file is well documented.  If you
> are just trying to get the one client to boot, you can change the
> settings in the "default" section, rather than making a section for your
> specific client.  Remember that if you add other clients, you may have
> to set up a "list of settings" for each client...
>
> Anyway, look at the X_MODE_0 stuff (I think that is the term... X_MODE
> something anyway... my head really is starting to hurt...)  and set the
> screen resolution stuff to something lower.  The blank screen usually
> means the monitor can't handle the refresh rate, etc.

I find it best to reduce the horiz and vertical scan rate, rather than setting the
resolution hard.

Something like this :-

# AUWA
[00:c0:26:79:ec:5b]
        X_HORZSYNC         = 31-55
        X_VERTREFRESH      = 55-85
        X_MOUSE_DEVICE     = "/dev/ttyS0"
        X_MOUSE_PROTOCOL   = "Microsoft"
        X_MOUSE_BUTTONS    = 2
        X_MOUSE_EMULATE3BTN = Y

You can just tweak the top end of X_HORZSYNC and X_VERTREFRESH to taste, rather
than trying to figure out modelines. Raise them til it doesn't work, then drop
it slightly. X_HORZSYNC is usually the problem.

Cheers,    Andy!