[K12OSN] K12LTSP, Squid & SquidGuard

Terrell Prude', Jr. microman at cmosnetworks.com
Sun Mar 7 19:02:02 UTC 2004

We do transparent proxy at our schools, too.  We use a separate physical
proxy server for this purpose, though.  I've heard that it's quite
difficult to get a K12LTSP server to transparently proxy to itself.
Theoretically, I imagine that it could be done, but you'd have to be an
iptables guru in order to do it.

Here's how I do transparent proxying.

              WAN

            Router

---------S-W-I-T-C-H------------------------------ MAIN LAN
   |           |          |          |            (10.40.32.0/20)
K12LTSP    Web Proxy    K12LTSP    K12LTSP
Server     Server       Client     Client

The switch is a Catalyst 3548.  I have the router redirecting all
traffic, via a little policy routing, to the Web proxy server.  This
way, it's a lot easier to rebuild your K12LTSP box if you need to, with
a stock install.  Also, it offloads your K12LTSP server for running
apps.  The Web proxy server doesn't need to be that big; I've found that
a Pentium III-733 with 256MB DRAM will nicely service a large high school.

--TP