[K12OSN] RE: Serial Mouse on Clients

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Mon Mar 8 09:42:00 UTC 2004

Yay, another Minnesota LTSP user!  By my count, that makes at least five of us:
Bob K. and me in the TC, Jim K.in Winona, Chris B.in Duluth (haven't heard from
him in a while--Chris, you still out there?) and now Tim! And I think there some
folks nearby in Wisconsin. I'm keeping track because I'd love to have a
'regional conference' here some time similar to what the folks in Maine did last
fall.  Eric & Jim McQ.: What's your minimum quota of attendees to justify making
a trip to Minneapolis or Duluth?

As to serial mice, I, too, am running k12ltsp ver 3.1.2 at home, and most of my
client machines use serial mice.  Here's the chunk of settings from lts.conf for
one old box:

[00:60:8c:c2:55:2a]
         # this is art, NIC is a 3c509
         X_MOUSE_PROTOCOL   = "Microsoft"
         X_MOUSE_DEVICE     = "/dev/ttyS0"
         X_MODE_0           = 800x600  40  800  840  968 1056   600  601  605
628 +hsync +vsync

You have to set the protocol AND the port.  And you may have to fool around with
the port, trying ttyS0, ttyS1, etc.  I've got one goofball client that if I plug
the mouse into COM1 and specify ttyS0 it won't work; but if I specify ttyS1 it
will work (and yes, I'm sure I've got it connected to the correct port--I spent
a lot of time fooling around with that one).  The point is, on older hardware,
sometimes you have to do a lot of trial and error because things don't always
work as they should.

The Twin Cities Linux User Group (www.tclug.org) meets the first Saturday of the
month, usually of the U of M campus.  That's probably about the same distance
for you as Mankato, I suspect.

Petre