[K12OSN] Xconfigs-lowest common denominator?

Andy Rabagliati andyr at wizzy.com
Wed Mar 10 10:35:20 UTC 2004

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004, anthony baldwin wrote:

> It's just that, if you have a lab with mixed clients, different
> monitors, how does X handle all the differences?  I'm supposing that
> your XF86configs are going to be created in compliance with your video
> card and the lowest common denominator amongs the monitors.
> Is this correct?

XFree86 does a pretty good job of autodetecting this stuff.

it does an lspci to get the video card.

It looks it up in a file (vidlist on LTSP) that tells it what server to use.

New versions of XFree86 autodetect mice - yaaay !

Once it has the video driver, there is a protocol the card talks to
the monitor to find out the /monitor/ specs.

Not all monitors support this - especially old ones.

Write a config file, fire up X.

Cheers,  Andy!

http://wizzy.org.za/