[K12OSN] NIS and Application Server

Martin Stevens mstevens at chace.enfield.sch.uk
Wed Mar 10 12:22:02 UTC 2004

Hi all,

Finally I have NIS working, Hooray.

Now for the next part how do I run/export say mozilla or Openoffice.org
the a workstation ?

When I ssh as root to the application server the apps run on my terminal

-------------

[mstevens at mercury mstevens]$ ssh earth -l root
root at earth's password:
Last login: Wed Mar 10 17:00:22 2004 from mercury
[root at earth root]# oocalc
Starting OpenOffice.org ...
[root at earth root]#

This works.

----------------------------

[mstevens at mercury mstevens]$ ssh earth
mstevens at earth's password:
/usr/X11R6/bin/xauth:  timeout in locking authority file
/home/staff/mstevens/.Xauthority
[mstevens at earth mstevens]$ oocalc
Checking for existing user installation ...   ...   NOT FOUND
Performing first-time installation for user ...   /usr/bin/ooffice: line
87: /home/staff/mstevens/.mime.types.tmp: Permission denied
mv: cannot move `/home/staff/mstevens/.sversionrc' to
`/home/staff/mstevens/.sversionrc.old': Permission denied
X connection to localhost:10.0 broken (explicit kill or server
shutdown).
...   FAILED
[mstevens at earth mstevens]$

This doesn't