[K12OSN] Java font uglyness

Richard Duran rduran at dallasairmotive.com
Wed Mar 10 14:17:01 UTC 2004

We've been trying to find a solution to the general ugliness as well.
Until recently, I thought it might have to do with anti-aliasing, but
after running xmag on a regular FC1 install, I noticed that fonts are
not aliased in java applets (I found one link regarding anti-aliased
fonts in java applets here
http://oldwww.comlab.ox.ac.uk/oucl/users/bernard.sufrin/personal.shtml
but I'm guessing there's a rendering engine encoded in the applet).

Currently we're looking at mangling the font.properties file under
/usr/java to use other fonts, but haven't had any luck. Our issue is
that the fonts are difficult for our people to read at 1024x768. It's a
pain sorting through every font looking for one that's easy on the
eyes...

-richard