[K12OSN] Monitoring Internet Access

george kocke webmaster at vol.org
Thu Mar 11 11:39:01 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-03-11 at 10:15, Michael Elliott wrote:

> I am trying to determine the best method to monitor internet access for
> my K12LTSP box.

This may not be the best method, but I have Squid, SquidGuard and
DansGuardian all running on box all of their own.

On the LTSP server, Mozilla is configured to use the Squid box as a
proxy. The firewall (a separate box) blocks all port 80, etc. requests
except through the Squid box. This prevents people from disabling the
proxy settings in Mozilla. In addition, the LTSP box is running identd
so that DansGuardian shows usernames in the logfiles. I use the
DansGuardian log files to monitor Internet access and only look at the
Squid log files to see how Squid is performing.

The only problem I have with any of this is that identd puts a heavy
load on the CPU on the LTSP server when many users are browsing. It gets
even worse when our T1 is having problems. Does anyone know of any way
to tame identd in this situation?

--
george kocke <webmaster at vol.org>