[K12OSN] Monitoring Internet Access

george kocke webmaster at vol.org
Thu Mar 11 14:02:01 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-03-11 at 10:53, Michael Elliott wrote:
> George -

> You mentioned CPU drain with identd - I have a 2.4GHz Celeron, do you
> believe I would have issues with only 5-10 users?  This afternoon I may
> try DansGuardian.  I didn't realize it already contained User IDs.  Do
> you have any suggestions or advice for the install?

I really couldn't tell you for sure. You'll just have to try it and see
what happens. I'm running a dual 2.8Ghz Xeon. I can have 30 people
looking at mainly text based sites and identd is fine. The problem
starts when they're on sites with lots of pictures as identd gets called
for each requested object and gets even worse when our T1 is
experiencing extreme latency.

As far as the install of DG goes, you may want to play with a distro
that has it already set up. I believe someone mentioned Censornet. My
install is two years old... which may have something to do with my
identd problems now that I think about it. No matter, I'll be redoing
that machine in the summer.

--
george kocke <webmaster at vol.org>