[K12OSN] Identd & Dansguardian - Internet Monitor

Michael Elliott melliott at rpmhealthstop.org
Fri Mar 12 12:24:02 UTC 2004

Hi All,

Once again I apologize if this has been asked before, I will be glad if
/ when Red Hat gets the search fixed for the group.

I am in the process of setting up Dansguardian to monitor internet
access.  I installed Dansguardian and configured my client to use it as
a proxy (port 8080).  The access.log file did show that internet access
was made.  However, it did not tell me the username making the access.
I  am assuming that is the " - " in the log.  Through a bit of searching
I read that I needed to have identd running.  I was not familiar with
identd so I did a quick search online.  First site up as Setting Up
Identd from 1998, I figured the instructions hadn't changed that much
(see link below).

- I did modify the etc/services to contain      ident 113/tcp auth
- I modified etc/xinetd.conf (instead of inetd.conf) to contain  ident
stream tcp nowait nobody /etc/identd   identd
- commented out the auth line in etc/services.

WHen the instructions came to commenting the auth line of inetd.conf, I
didn't know where else to look, I checked xinetd.conf and was not listed.

To check and see if it worked, I brought back up my client and attempted
access once more.  Same occured.

Any advice?

Thanks,
Mike