[K12OSN] trouble getting users and groups from PDC

Jonathan Kallay Yoni at kallay.net
Fri Mar 12 17:15:13 UTC 2004

Hi all,
I'm only a lowly tech support teacher (they pay us a small stipend to act as
the IT office's first line of defense at the schools) in a huge district
which is mismanaging its technology resources (you probably all know the
drill- plenty of technology gets bought through grants but there's not
enough money in the operations budget to keep it adequately supported).
I've been working hard to push thin-clients from my end, and I'm now at the
phase where recognition of my existence by the IT office has been achieved,
and hopefully I'll soon be getting the go-ahead to set up a small LTSP trial
with a few student terminals in the guidance office, used for writing
college applications and college-search related web browsing.

The students all have accounts on the NT domain, and I need to be able to
seamlessly authenticate students from the domain controller. I've set up
Samba and Winbind, and have joined the LTSP server to the domain (I have
sufficient privileges on the domain to do this, but no login privileges on
the domain controller). wbinfo -t, -m, --sequence, and --domain NAME are
all successful, but -u and -g both return a statement 'error looking up
domain users/groups.'

There are several domains on the network. When I joined the domain I was
automatically added to the SCHOOLS domain which appears to contain the
computer trust accounts as well as all student accounts. My own account is
on a second domain where the teacher and administrator accounts reside.
When doing wbinfo -m the SCHOOLS domain is NOT listed. When doing
wbinfo --domain SCHOOLS the "Active Directory" parameter says "yes" while
the other domains say "no". I joined the domain with a "net rpc join"
command, not "net ads join." Should this make a difference? Do I need to setup Kerberos and join the domain using ADS? When doing a web search I've discovered that the inability to do wbinfo -u lookups is a common problem, without many posted solutions. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Jonathan