[K12OSN] M$ access from K12LTSP

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Mon Mar 15 18:10:48 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-03-14 at 21:04, norbert wrote:
> Hi Terrell,
>
> Thanks, however since I'm the new guy coming into the "big" school
> boards I don't have much clout to tell them to dump those applications.
> The Tux suite is close to Kidpix but not quite and the board has
> invested large amounts of money into the licenses !!!!
> This is also trus for the Web application so I need to find the best of
> the available solutions
>
> Replacing their investments is not an option at this time but once in
> !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Look out M$   :-D :-D

If the licenses are already paid, your best bet is to let the boxes
run Windows for the installed apps and add Cygwin X to access the
k12ltsp server.  If you run 'Xwin -fullscreen -query k12ltsp_server'
you shouldn't be able to tell the difference from a thin client
except that you won't have sound and 'alt-tab' will hide the X screen
and toggle through the open MS windows (and back).  Later you may
be able to justify eliminating windows on the basis of the amount of
time it takes to maintain software installed on each desktop. There
are other ways to run X that are more convenient for mixing MS and
X apps, but -fullscreen is probably the least confusing for a new
user.  If you can arrange for their Linux home directories to be mapped
by the windows clients so the same files are visible either way, so much
the better.

---
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com