[K12OSN] M$ access from K12LTSP

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Tue Mar 16 03:11:13 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-03-15 at 20:20, norbert wrote:

> Thanks but would it not be better to have the K12ltsp setup and
> configure a M$ server with CALs then have the thin clients rdesktop
> into the M$ server ?

A central server is easier to install and maintain, but
MS apps are designed to run separately on each desktop
and you aren't going to get any functional improvement
by running them remotely unless the desktop machines are
just too slow.  Also, you probably already paid for
the desktop copy of windows and the apps and would have
to buy CALs and a hefty server to run them remotely.
X, on the other hand, has always been location and OS
agnostic and the current free Cygwin version seems pretty
good.  I haven't tested it on exactly the same hardware
as an ltsp client but a PII 350 laptop running Win2k/Cygwin
seems fast enough.

---
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com