[K12OSN] mini distro for X -query

Jonathan Carter jonathan at shuttleworthfoundation.org
Tue Mar 16 05:03:51 UTC 2004

Andy Rabagliati wrote:
> I have heard that knoppix is making major strides in this direction ?
>
> PXE-bootable system that does knoppix-style hardware detection on the client ?
>
> Not as thin as a thin client, probably needs more RAM, but has local Apps.
>
> Not used it myself, but if anyone can do it, they can.
>
> Cheers,   Andy!

I've used it. It's just about the other way round from a LTSP network.
You need a week server, but with fast drives. More than one client from
a CD-ROM doesn't work well. And you need strong clients. 32MB RAM simply
won't work. I'd recommend at least 128MB. In the end, it's just normal
Linux booted off an NFS share. It does work nice, and you do save money
for not using hard disks. It's a good solution if you have a bit more
money or stronger hardware, IMO.

Jonathan