[K12OSN] Kidspiration or Inspiration-like Linux software

Les Bell lesbell at lesbell.com.au
Wed Mar 17 21:12:23 UTC 2004

Jim Hays <haysja at sages.us> wrote:

I, too, am looking for an Inspiration "clone".  The closest that I have
found is FreeMind (http://freemind.sourceforge.net/).  The core is
definitely there and it does seem to be powerful enough, but I am sure
that our teachers will find something wrong with it because it is not
Inspiration.
<<

I tried FreeMind, and was quite impressed. The biggest problem for
deployment around our school is the fact that it's written in Java - we
have a number of old machines on which it would be just too slow,
unfortunately. The other problem - more easily overcome - is the limited
support for graphics - elementary school kids, especially, love graphics
and colour.

Best,

--- Les Bell, RHCE, CISSP
[http://www.lesbell.com.au]