[K12OSN] Question on diskless vs diskfull clients & how to get them

Jim Hays haysja at sages.us
Fri Mar 19 13:27:47 UTC 2004

The bottom line for most schools - especially this year - is cost.  With
that in mind, use what you have.  If you have a bunch of Mac ans can get
them to work (not the easiest thing), definitely use them.  If you are
going to buy new clients, then get something that will boot to the
network.  If you have a student group that can build them, it would be a
great project - and they will have fun doing it, not to mention the
"ownership" feeling that they will get out of the project.

Donated PC's will work very well for this purpose.  I just got 7 from a
federal agency (Compaq Pentium II) and they work very well.  (Isn't
Rom-o-matic just about the coolest site you've ever used?)

Bottom line - use what you can and save as much money as you can.  Put
your money in the server and switches.