[K12OSN] ISO: Good programming language to teach an 8yr old

Terrell Prude', Jr. microman at cmosnetworks.com
Fri Mar 19 19:56:21 UTC 2004

For the eight-year-old, I actually would recommend REXX. Yes, REXX. It's
easy as all heck, it scales from PCs to mainframes (on which it was
first invented), it's interpreted, and it's easy to debug. You can get
native REXX interpreters even for Windows very easily (Regina REXX comes
w/ the Resource Kit and is GPL'd). There's exactly one variable type:
string. Yes, I know that the C purists will complain, "Oh, it won't
prepare him for typed languages! Calamity!" Hey, the kid's eight years
old; he's got time.

As he gets older, I would suggest Pascal. Pascal is, in my experience, a
very good language for teaching good, solid programming discipline; I
think colleges were absolutely stupid to abandon it. I knew several C
programmers, and those who'd learned Pascal first tended to have cleaner
code than the ones who first learned w/ C. Yes, I know, "nobody uses it
anymore," but they use Smalltalk in CompSci for OO concepts for a very
good reason.

And no, I can't program anymore hardly to save my life; it's been too
many years. :-(

--TP