[K12OSN] OT: If you MUST use windows (PXES Thin Clients)

Doug Gough dgough at papcs.com
Mon Mar 22 18:54:20 UTC 2004

> Also, is this a "diskless" option?  Or do you need local hard
> drive to load the distro to?  Can you boot it from a floppy
> or boot ROM?  I imagine this will not work on a full diskless
> workstation such as the Term150 from
> www.disklessworkstations.com.  I am intrigued by the idea.

It requires a client access license per terminal.
It can be a diskless solution if your motherboards support PXE booting.
The setup is fully explained on the PXES site. I don't think you could
fit it in a boot rom. But since it only requires 20MB on the hard drive,
you can use very old drives and have it boot locally. If you configure
it to do so, it will boot from the drive but connect directly to the
terminal server without any clue that it's not diskless. We are
installing it on the local disk, because we are converting old win98
workstations into terminals.

Doug Gough