[K12OSN] OT: If you MUST use windows (PXES Thin Clients)

Paul Davison pauldavison at psps.com
Mon Mar 22 19:04:36 UTC 2004

A friend of mine needed a solution for a small business that would allow
him to run linux desktops for about 80% of his users with 20% still
requiring access to a windows accounting application.

I set up a K12LTSP 3 server running iceWM to auto-login for certain
workstations, and placed an "rdesktop -f server.address &" in the window
manager rc file for the autologin account.

The result was Diskless Pentium 166 systems that booted in about 40
seconds to the login prompt for a Win 2k Terminal server session. The
users don't even know it is not a windows machine they are using.

As far as I know, that company has been using this system for about a
year now without a hitch.  They still needed to license the terminal
server for the number of users that needed access, but the remaining
computers just run regular login sessions with the full suite of linux
applications.  It is the best of both worlds I guess.

I toyed with a similar setup using Citrix ICA clients as well. It worked
the same way.

The result either way, it is cheaper to buy terminal server licenses
than it is to buy new hardware and OS licenses.

Paul Davison