[K12OSN] local apps....explain?

Christopher K. Johnson ckjohnson at gwi.net
Wed Mar 24 01:03:23 UTC 2004

David Trask wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>Ok, this may seem like a stupid question, but I've never bothered to
>investigate it.  What exactly does local apps do (in lts.conf)?  I'm going
>to guess that somehow the apps migrate to the local machine and use the
>local machine's processing power?  Is this the case....do they live in RAM
>or on the HD?  Do they have to be preloaded on the local HD?  the reason
>I'm asking....I have a whole lab of powerful (dual boot with floppies)
>Penitum 4 machines with 256 mb RAM....when kids are using Flash sites on
>the internet...their apps slow to a crawl.  I was wondering if setting
>local apps for these machines might improve performance much in the way
>that it does when the apps (mozilla, etc) run from a local HD.  Can
>someone explain how exactly local apps works?

Hmm.  My understanding is they just need to be runnable on the booted
workstation, so typically that would be loaded from the nfs mounted
rootfs into workstation memory to execute.

However this is probably not a solution for flash because it needs to be
available as a plug-in to the browser.  Which means you would have to
run the browser, all its plugins, and any applications launched to
handle files, on the workstation in order to run flash there.

Local apps aside - this may help with flash performance:
http://www.pclinuxonline.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=8574

Chris

   Chris Johnson, RHCE #807000448202021