[K12OSN] Macintosh Boot Process

Shawn Powers spowers at inlandlakes.org
Wed Mar 24 03:13:04 UTC 2004

Huck wrote:
> Which file(s) require editing in order to make Yellowdog boot directly
> Instead of giving the option to boot from 'cd' or 'yellowdog'

You want to set the timeout to .. well, nothing.  The file is
/etc/yaboot.conf -- and after editing it, you need to run ybin -v to
save it to the bootstrap partition.

This is assuming the fruity colored macs, or "new-world" -- with the
old-world (beige) macs, you need to use bootx, or quik.  (I've never
been overly successful with quik, it's sorta hit and miss if it will work)

I think the older macs used a bootx variant, miboot -- which I have no
experience with.

I'm still trying to find time to play with debian and get it installed
instead of yellowdog.  I just don't have enough hours in a day... :(

-Shawn

--
Shawn Powers
Technology Director