[K12OSN] boot from local ntfs HD

Doug Gough dgough at papcs.com
Wed Mar 24 17:33:40 UTC 2004

> My lab has Windows NT installed on the clients. I want a dual
> boot setup.
> Instead of using a floppy with rom-o-matic, I want to boot
> off the local hard
> drives by modifying boot.ini and put the rom-o-matic file on
> the hard drive.
> I have not done this and would like some help.  I have heard
> it's possible
> but I don't know if it will work on ntfs. Has anyone done this??
>
> Robert

You could run Cygwin on the NT machines and use it to connect to the
K12LTSP server. This would require that the user boot into NT, and then
run Cygwin, and inside Cygwin run xwin with the correct query string.
Most of this could be scripted, I imagine, but it may still be too much
overhead. Still, this sounds like a lot more work than just making a
whack of boot floppies and handing them out at the beginning of class.