[K12OSN] boot from local ntfs HD

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Wed Mar 24 17:52:12 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-03-24 at 11:33, Doug Gough wrote:
> You could run Cygwin on the NT machines and use it to connect to the
> K12LTSP server. This would require that the user boot into NT, and then
> run Cygwin, and inside Cygwin run xwin with the correct query string.
> Most of this could be scripted, I imagine, but it may still be too much
> overhead. Still, this sounds like a lot more work than just making a
> whack of boot floppies and handing them out at the beginning of class.

On the other hand it might save a lot of trouble dealing with
which NIC and video card each machine uses.  If you add the
-fullscreen option to Cygwin's Xwin program it will cover up
the windows toolbar and should be the same as a thin client
except that alt-tab will cycle through the MS-windows windows
instead of the X windows so you can still get to the MS programs.

---
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com