[K12OSN] Useful tool...Linux saves the day!

David Trask dtrask at vcs.u52.k12.me.us
Thu Mar 25 16:07:38 UTC 2004

First of all...this is very cool....I had a computer (Win XP) where the
admin password would not work....nor would any others.  In most case
that's a death knell.  Then I found this

http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html

It's a Linux based rescue disk that allows you to go into any NT, 2000, or
XP system and rest the password.  Very cool and it works great.  I used
the CD based version....downloaded the zip file....unzipped and burned the
ISO.  One thing I learned....setting the password to blank works better
than trying to change it.  Just set it to blank....then go into Windows
and change it.  Works slick and saved me from reimaging.  Funny how Linux
was able to save Windows from itself....(sorry...couldn't resist)  ;-)

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator
Vassalboro Community School
dtrask at vcs.u52.k12.me.us