[K12OSN] Impact of filesystems on performance

Eric Feldhusen efeldhusen at chartermi.net
Thu Mar 25 21:23:07 UTC 2004

Chris Kacoroski wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have been doing some testing of a 3ware raid card and found a problem
> with ext3 filesystems on the 3ware card (not sure if this applies to
> other kinds of raid devices).  Tests to replicate are
>
> Using Ext3, when doing a single read or write I was getting 41MB/s, 2
> concurrent writes was 36MB/s, and when I changed to a concurrent read
> and write it dropped to 4.5MB/s.   On the advice of 3ware I changed to
> the jfs filesystem and saw a big improvement.  Single read or write is
> 60MB/s, 2 concurrent writes are 79MB/s, a concurrent read and write was
> 99MB/s, and 1 read with 2 writes concurrently was 100MB/s.

Has anyone seen similar results with the 3ware 7500 and parallel ata
drives?  I run my samba/apache/cups file/print servers on 3ware 7500
with 200GB ata drives with ext3 on Redhat 8.  And based on what I've
been seeing with webminstats, and just watching the throughput when I
copying a couple of gigabytes of files while users logging in and out
and moving their windows profiles back and forth, I see the file system
really slow down.

--
Eric Feldhusen
Network Administrator for Adams, Chassell,
emailto:eric at remc1.k12.mi.us