[K12OSN] Client RAM question

Rita Gibson rgibson57 at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 27 14:03:42 UTC 2004

Terrell Prude', Jr. wrote:

> Julius Szelagiewicz wrote:

>>> <32MB DRAM, and they run just as fast as if they have 48MB or 64MB.

>>> Wrong answer!
>>> I use k12LTSP4.0.1 , 30 clients with Dual Xeon + 4G RAM.
>>> My clients use many memory-wasting programs like Mozilla, OOO and
>>> Evolution.
>>> I noticed strange restarts on clients with 32MB RAM. Even with 64MB.
>>> But clients with 128MB RAM never restarted.
>>> So, I added NFS swap up to 96MB per client and now all is ok. No
>>> more restarts.
>>> So, amount of client RAM IS important!
>>>

>> Mella is right - the amount of client memory matters, because the X
>> server
>> got "smart" and uses more memory to reduce network traffic. 128MB
>> seems to
>> be the magic number. julius
>>

> Hey, I can only relate my experience, and that says, "no difference."
>
> Julius, I hadn't heard about the X11 server getting "smart."  I'd of
> course like to know more.  Given that the apps are running on the
> server, not the client itself, how does this "smart" bit work?  We're
> just displaying stuff, aren't we, or are we somehow migrating apps
> over to the client under the hood, a'la OpenMosix?
>
> Please enlighten me; you've got me curious!
>
> --TP

I am very interested in this discussion as I am trying to figure out how
to get a little better performance in our lab. I have been trying to
decide whether to try to migrate all the boxes I have that would hand
128MB into the lab -- performance is always an issue when you have a lab
full of excited students trying to get their work done. If the client
has more memory, then does the server do less swapping for that client
(thus less processor time and bandwidth?).

Thanks for this discussion.

Rita Gibson
RMSEL