[K12OSN] Proposal due Monday, feedback welcome

Terrell Prude', Jr. microman at cmosnetworks.com
Sat Mar 27 15:25:40 UTC 2004

WARNING:  this is kinda long.

The more DRAM in the server, the better.  I built a dual Athlon 1700+
(1.4GHz) machine w/ 4GB DRAM and a fiber Gigabit Ethernet NIC for less
than $2000 USA.  However, it doesn't have SCSI RAID; it has twin 80GB
IDE disks.  Twenty-five clients are currently served by it with plenty
of headroom to spare; according to my calculations, it can easily handle
forty--and maybe even sixty--before it starts swapping to disk, and this
is with all of my users running KDE or GNOME (their choice),
OpenOffice.org, and Mozilla.  Note that, for the same price, you can now
build the same server with Athlon 2400+'s.

You want to make sure you have plenty of CPU power as well as DRAM.
Without decent CPU power, running your applications will feel sluggish
to your students.  The fastest Pentium II chip ever made was the 450MHz
version, and the Pentium III started at 500MHz (I think).

For thirteen clients, you can get away with 1.5GB DRAM and thus cut the
price of the above server from just under $2000 US to about $1400 US.
Replacing the fiber Gig-E NIC with a copper Gig-E NIC (*strongly*
recommended to run Gig-E on the server!) will bring it down another
$200, down to $1200 US.  This is about 48,000 Baht according to your
formula below.  I don't know if you'd be able to stretch it that far,
but if you can, your students will benefit, and future expansion will be
very easy and less expensive (just add more DRAM to the server) than
having to buy a new server and migrate everything.

I absolutely concur with Gigabit Ethernet on the server.  My own
informal tests show that once you start getting beyond five or six
machines, a 100Mbps connection just isn't enough to service all of the
clients.  The "outside" connection on the server can be 100Mbps, but the
"inside" connection should definitely be Gig-E.  Mine runs on a Catalyst
3548 switch and sits on one of the GBIC ports, and now I'm sure glad I
did that way.

For the dial-up option, I personally would discard that option if at all
possible.  Thirteen people on dial-up just won't cut it.  In a previous
job, I was in a similar situation involving fifteen people on a 56k
dialup connection.  We ended up getting dual ISDN lines (DSL wasn't yet
available at our location) so we could do our jobs effectively.

Depending on your budget, you may also consider Coyote Linux, a
floppy-based distribution, running on an old 486.  I used that for about
a year as my firewall/NAT gateway, and it worked nicely for me.  This
might possibly save you from having to buy an old Pentium II for
SmoothWall, but I can say that SmoothWall is a fine product; I used it
for about a month.

For IMAP mail servers, I'd suggest Courier-IMAP and Postfix.  This is
the setup that I run, and I find it easier to deal with than sendmail.
No slam on sendmail--it's the backbone of all Internet email and thus
very much battle-tested--but it is complex.  Courier-IMAP is nice
because it uses maildirs for both speed and resilience.  Note that my
mail server runs on an AMD K6-2 at 300MHz, with 256MB DRAM, and this has
proven to be way overkill.  I've found that you can do it in 64MB DRAM
and a Pentium-133, as long as your disk drive is large enough to
accommodate all the stored email (disk quotas can help here if necessary).

If you go with Courier-IMAP, make sure that /home is nice and big,
because that's where all the emails will be stored.  If you go with
UW-IMAP (the more traditional choice), then it's /var that needs to be
big (don't make /home tiny, though).

Hopefully this helps.

--TP