[K12OSN] Free computers for kids

anthony baldwin anthonybaldwin at snet.net
Sat Mar 27 18:52:40 UTC 2004

Terrell Prude', Jr. wrote:
> The machines you're talking about sound like they'd also make excellent
> LTSP clients!  :-)
>
> On machines that small, if you're doing standalone OS installs, I'd
> recommend a lighterweight distro than Red Hat or SuSE.  I've found
> Vector Linux and Peanut Linux to be good for this.  They don't take up a
> bunch of space on the disk, either (less than 800MB for the whole
> thing).  Would this be an option in your case?
>
> I'll warn you, though:  on anything with less than 256MB DRAM,
> OpenOffice.org (any version) is going to be S-L-O-W, be you running it
> on FreeBSD, GNU/Linux, or even (gasp!) Windows 2K/XP.  The kids are much
> better off using apps like AbiWord and Gnumeric on such boxes anyway;
> they're lightweight, functional, and reasonably quick.
>
> --TP

On faster machines, like the 400mhz I took to school already, I'll stick
to K12 and RH, of course.  The 400mhz is still pretty darned slow
load a full distro, however, so I just downloaded Deli Linux, and I'm
giong to try that.  I had tried RH with Rule/slinky, but I couldn't get
it to run X.

tony

--
Anthony Baldwin