[K12OSN] Using Windows XP Professional as a poor man's terminal server]

Brian Chase networkr0 at cfl.rr.com
Sun Mar 28 20:00:39 UTC 2004

I've used Windows XP Professional and the Remote Desktop features within
the OS, but only with one user, myself, logging into an office machine
from my home machine.  I'm looking to expand on that.

I'm involved in a Linux Terminal Server Project and want to find an
inexpensive way to offer very limited Windows remote desktop to a
classroom of 30 or more Linux (LTSP) diskless thin clients using RDesktop.

Can this be done with just WinXP or must we purchase a fully blown
Windows Terminal Server?  Citrix is out of the question for budget reasons.

Some questions come to mind are the following:
	-  Nevermind licensing issues, is it technically possible?
	-  What if any, licenses my be violated in doing so?
	-  If it is possible, is there a limit to concurrent users
	   logged into the WinXP box?
	-  Anybody doing this now? (feel free to reply off-list)

Any experience of info doing this sort of thing would be most appreciated.

Cheers,
Email:  networkr0 at cfl.rr.com