[K12OSN] K12LTSP, ClamAV & Evolution

Paul Davison pauldavison at psps.com
Mon Mar 29 15:27:44 UTC 2004

Hi Michael,

I am guessing that what you are trying to do is use Evolution for each
client to gather their mail directly from your ISP's POP server.  The
typical set up for Amavis  or any other filter (Procmail, Spamassassin
et al) is to filter the mail as it passes through your Mail Transfer
Agent (MTA) something like sendmail or postfix. If Evolution is
connecting directly to the ISP, then you are bypassing the step that
would do the virus checking. If you are planning to continue using the
ISP to hold your incoming mail, there is one method which should work
for you.

	-set up Amavis-ng and Clamav to virus check mail coming through your
k12LTSP server's sendmail daemon.
	-set up the POP3/IMAP server on your K12LTSP server
	-set up your evolution clients to collect thier mail from the local
machine (K12LTSP server)using POP or IMAP
	- ensure your firewall allows your clients to connect to the K12LTSP
server for POP, IMAP and SMTP
	-use Fetchmail to collect the email for each account from the ISP.
(Fetchmails default action is to gather the email from the ISP and
deliver it to your sendmail daemon for processing)

Hope that helps
Paul Davison