[K12OSN] Client RAM question

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Mon Mar 29 16:33:38 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-03-29 at 09:27, Julius Szelagiewicz wrote:

> 	There was not mention of 4 processor systems, because they seem to
> be not cost effective when the limiting factor is memory, not processing
> power.

A different and much more expensive xeon processor is used when you have
more than 2 processors.  IBM does something to work around that with 4
processors but that box is still too expensive.

> 	I have very high hopes for an Opteron based system - a dual Xeon
> 2.4GHz with 4GB runs ok (30% - 50% use) with 34 users, so I think that a
> dual Opteron could get me to 80+ happy users with 12 or 16 GB.

Dual xeons should work fine with >4Gigs RAM if you use the bigmem kernel
and a lot of motherboards will take 6 or 8 dimms.  The motherboards
were spec'd at 2Gigs per strip although the 2Gig versions have not
been available very long and are still more expensive than the 1's.
So, you should be able to take some of the existing xeon boxes to
12 or 16 GB if you wanted.   If you are buying new, the opterons would
probably be a better choice, though.

---
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com