[K12OSN] Client RAM question

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Mon Mar 29 21:36:34 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-03-29 at 15:12, Julius Szelagiewicz wrote:

> Les,
> 	my actual experience with bigmem kernels was very, very sobering.
> The systems run slowly and erratically at best and were crashing at worst.
> When i try to remember the tricks i was employing in the far away years of
> the previous century to get my little Datapoint to access more than 64K
> memory, i can see why it is a good idea to just have the wider data path
> julius

That must be ancient history or something specifically to do with
k12ltsp apps.  I have several dual-xeons with 6 Gigs RAM running RH9
bigmem as shipped by Penguin and they have run for months without
problems and I run a mix of bigmem and normal SMP kernels on a set
of 4GB machines and could never tell any difference in production
(also a mix of fedora and RH9).  One of the older ones is
running 2.4.20-9bigmem and currently has an uptime of 321 days.
These are running java web services and some homegrown stuff
dealing with commodities exchange data but from the kernel's
perspective the applications probably don't matter much.  The kernel
really doesn't need to access all memory at once since it's job is to
switch among user tasks.

---
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com