[K12OSN] Using Windows XP Professional as a poor man's terminalserver]

Richard K. Ingalls ringalls at glenwood.k12.mo.us
Tue Mar 30 12:54:31 UTC 2004

Doug Gough wrote:
>>I'm involved in a Linux Terminal Server Project and want to
>>find an inexpensive way to offer very limited Windows remote
>>desktop to a classroom of 30 or more Linux (LTSP) diskless
>>thin clients using RDesktop.
>>
>>Can this be done with just WinXP or must we purchase a fully
>>blown Windows Terminal Server?  Citrix is out of the question
>>for budget reasons.
>>

> You'll need Window Server 2003 and the appropriate number of client
> access licences. Don't use Windows 2000 Server. It works but not nearly
> as nice as 2003. Microsoft offers educational pricing for this stuff, so
> you won't have to spend an outrageous amount of money on it.
>
> However, you should find out if the Windows software you want to use
> will run in Wine. If it does, then you can install the software on the
> Linux terminal server and not have to worry about Windows 2003 and
> client access licences.
>
> Doug Gough

OK!  Wine may be the great killer app for many of educators.  BUT, how
do I install my older Windows edu-tainment apps and make them
available for all the users?  This has been a bit of a struggle for
me.  Can anyone help on this?  Doug?

Thanks.

"He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep
  for that which he cannot lose."
  -- Jim Elliott

RICHARD K. INGALLS
Director of Information Technology
Glenwood R-8 School District
West Plains, MO

email..ringalls (at) glenwood.k12.mo.us
web....glenwood.k12.mo.us
ph.....417.256.4849
fax....417.257.2567

"Miracles are a retelling in small letters
  of the very same story which is written across
  the whole world in letters too large
  for some of us to see."
  -- C. S. Lewis