[K12OSN] Remote Administration

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Tue Mar 30 22:19:29 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-03-30 at 13:43, Jim Kronebusch wrote:
> I just recently configured VNC on a LTSP server for the first time.
> Either I don't know what the heck I am doing or I need another
> program.  I didn't realize that all I would get is a command line
> interface with the server.  I was hoping for a complete GUI type
> solution such as with PC Anywhere on a windows box.  Could anyone let
> me know what I am missing or a better alternative?  I know I should be
> able to do everything at the command line but am having trouble
> letting the GUI go, it makes me feel like I am in front of the box.

Hey Jim,

What do you mean that you configued VNC on the LTSP server?

K12LTSP comes with VNC pre-configured, but firewalled-off on the
external interface by default.

Try logging into the K12LTSP server as you normally do, open a
terminal shell, and type:

	vncviewer localhost

You should get a login screen just as if you were logging in
from a terminal.

-Eric