[K12OSN] Max concurrent users

Jim Christiansen christiansen_j at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 31 16:52:37 UTC 2004

Just to add one more IDE success story-

I'm running 45 boxes on twin MP 2.4s with 2 gigs of ram and two IDE drives
with 8meg buffers.

I have noticed a difference since moving to the 8 meg buffered drives.
Everything seems to be a little bit faster.

What does matter is if admins set up the clients with a heavy window
manager, nautilus running on the desktop, with clocks and seconds flashing,
screensavers, and system monitors constantly redrawing on a taskbar.

With these aspects listed above taken into consideration, I often have all
45 boxes running where every user has Icewm (stripped down), Star7, Mozilla
with flash or java, and maybe a small game running in the background.  Top
shows cpu usage at 70 to 80%, piles of ram cached or buffered, and the ide
light is only flashing a healthy amount- never on steady.

I have seen the ide drive light on constantly, but only before I made the
changes listed above.

Wishing my school could afford SCSI,

Jim