[K12OSN] No flames: Why use M$ offerings?

Sudev Barar sudev at mantraonline.com
Sun May 2 00:46:45 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-05-02 at 01:37, Yancey B. Jones wrote:
>  <SNIP>
>
> > other than the approved mail client program.  (And in come
> > cases that is Outlook - whether you like it or not.)  Some
[SNIP]
Where no choice is afforded you got to use what you have.

[SNIP]
> And some us us - like myself - choose to use Outlook even though I have a
> Mandrake system running right next to my XP box. It is my choice to do so
> because I happen to like Outlook 2003 better than Thunderbird, Kmail, and
> Evolution (even though it is a close 2nd) and also because I like to sync
> with my iPAQ and I can't do that with Linux yet. So how about showing
> support for one of the tenents of OSS - freedom to CHOOSE. Let me choose my
> mail client and don't bug me about it. When I send a virus to the list (I
> have NEVER sent a virus to anyone) or post an HTML email, then feel free to
> say something about it then. When syncing with a PocketPC device becomes
> fully realized on Linux, then I may revisit my choice (but then again, maybe
> not - it's my CHOICE).
[SNIP]
No one is wanting to take that right away. However please consider the
motivation of people developing open source. If it was a commercial
product then yes unless they are offering something better than what you
are using no reason to switch.
Open source developer, on the other hand, is motivated by fact that
people are using his (her) product and tries to improve based on feed
back and community joins in with improvements / enhancements. Do we
support open source developments (like K12LTSP / LTSP itself?) or not is
the real question. Especially  where choice is available.
One can continue to use commercial products (not only $$ products) and
come out with other ways to help open source community - no problem.
Only when it becomes one way process that our vision becomes blurred and
open source objectives are lost.
Same issue is with sync. You would like to have something essential but
how it is going to happen if we stick out and grab only what we want or
is available?
Discussion is OPEN for all views.
--
Sudev Barar