[K12OSN] LTSP and Macintosh

Terrell Prude', Jr. microman at cmosnetworks.com
Wed May 5 01:41:09 UTC 2004

Hello Matt,

I've done this with Power Mac 5200's and 5260's.  These are NuBus boxes,
and I've found that running the Mach kernel (from MkLinux) on them works
well.  Note that you will need to have 32MB minimum DRAM in the Mac for
the Mach kernel to boot.  Some dude named Skip Gaede put together a
kernel and initrd ramdisk, all in one file, for us to use.  You will
need to install the Mach kernel on your hard disk, in a specific folder
(this is documented on http://www.ltsp.org/contrib).  It uses about
4.5MB of disk, so it's pretty small.  Also note that you'll need to
download the ppc version of the /opt/ltsp/i386 directory tree as well;
I've named mine /opt/ltsp/ppc.

Once they're booted, I've noticed a few issues, none of which have
stopped me from using them as LTSP clients.  First, the 52x0 series has
a max resolution of 640x480x256 colors.  Back then, remember, this was a
Big Deal.  Also, these often came with a NIC that had a SONIC-T chipset
on it; these do not work with GNU/Linux and need to be replaced with a
Macsense or something else (it cost me $10 a pop w/ shipping).  The
fastest NICs available for these older boxes are, to my knowledge,
10Mbps, which means that it'll feel a bit sluggish due to the screen
updates.  However, remember that the apps themselves are running at the
speed of the server.  Even with the 10Mbps cards, though, they feel and
respond a lot faster than they do as standalone boxes running Mac OS; it
feels over twice as fast on mine.

The 640x480x256 resolution can be taken care of by telling KDE (yes, I
run KDE with these things) to use the "small" or "tiny" icons in the
Panel.  To my own surprise, it was quite useable!  OO.o and Mozilla, of
course, felt a little cramped on such a low resolution (my normal box
has a 21" Trinitron, so I'm spoiled), but, again, it was useable.

Note that if you had, say, a PCI-based PMac as your thin client--say, a
5500--with a 100Mbps NIC in there, it'd feel very fast.

I've not run 68K Linux before, nor was I aware that it existed, but if
you have trouble getting that to work, there is a NetBSD port for them.
In this case, all you need is to have the X11 server query the LTSP
server.  It might just be easier, though, to stick with PowerPC-based
boxes as thin clients.

--TP