[K12OSN] Linux-based helpdesk software

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Fri May 7 03:39:19 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-05-06 at 16:55, troybanther wrote:
> Is there any Linux-based or web-based Help Desk software? I am
> looking to find or create an IT-centered asset tracking or problem
> report type of database.
>
> I have searched the web until my eyeballs hurt but can only find
> extremely expensive software like this.

Request Tracker is more of a trouble-ticket and knowledge base
system but it is very good if you want to allow requests
by email to automatically go into database queues that
groups of people can track and resolve. It is a little tricky
to set up because it needs the latest mysql or postgresql
versions, a bunch of perl modules, and on systems with
apache 2.x you need to run fastcgi instead of mod_perl
but I'm in the process of upgrading and am far enough
along to know it all works with a fedora base and isn't
too slow after importing about 25,000 tickets from the
old version. http://www.bestpractical.com/rt/

---
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com