[K12OSN] Using LTSP 4.0.1 on a Windows network

Brian P. Skahan bskahan at etria.com
Fri May 7 16:16:40 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-05-07 at 15:23 +0100, Luke Maslany wrote:
> Rather than buying (or revamping) old terminals, can I use a boot
> image on an existing workstation without modifying the locally
> installed content?  (I’m pretty sure that this is one of the main
> points of a thin-client solution, but I thought I should check)

Yes, I generally use my laptop as a Terminal Client in the office and a
regular laptop everywhere else.

> As disabling the DHCP services for the windows platform is not an
> option (in-house restrictions), can the boot image use a DHCP config
> from the Windows DHCP service?

We put DHCP on a non-default port for the Linux boxes and LTSP server,
touching the NT DHCP server was verboten.

> From what reading I have done, is it possible to create a boot image
> that obtains DHCP information from a DHCP server over none-standard
> ports - an option on ROM-o-matic.net is to obtain such information
> over ports 1067 and 1068, and if it is, how can the DHCP server be
> configured to answer these clients?

Its an option passed on the command line when DHCPD starts, depending on
your distro you might modify /etc/init.d/dhcpd to add "-p XXXX" to the
command.

> As I have mentioned on a previous post, I am new to Linux.  If I have
> missed some point of information that is needed and is glaringly
> obvious by it’s absence, please let me know.
nope! ;)

hth,
Brian
--