[K12OSN] Using LTSP 4.0.1 on a Windows network

J. Theriault administrator at maginetworks.com
Fri May 7 17:53:05 UTC 2004

Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-05-07 at 09:23, Luke Maslany wrote:
>

>>The student network is a mixture of Windows 2003 servers and Windows
>>2000 Professional clients.  DCHP is enabled.  I would like to
>>introduce Linux to the network.
>

>>Rather than buying (or revamping) old terminals, can I use a boot
>>image on an existing workstation without modifying the locally
>>installed content?  (I’m pretty sure that this is one of the main
>>points of a thin-client solution, but I thought I should check)
>

> You can, but all you really need is a Xwindows session.  If you don't
> want to have to reboot you can install Cygwin, including Xfree from
> http://www.cygwin.com.  From a cygwin bash prompt, enter
> Xwin -fullscreen -query k12ltsp_server
> and you should get a session exactly like a thin client except that
> you won't get sound and alt-tab will cycle through MS windows where
> the X desktop is one window instead of the individual X windows.

I also use this method for demonstrating "Linux" to others, to use my
(Windows 2000 Professional) laptop as a client, and so my spouse can
access my home LTSP server; the links on my laptop's desktop are

  C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\XWin.exe -query (server ip) -once
to run in a window (my preference) and
  C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin\XWin.exe -fullscreen -query (server ip) -once
to run in fullscreen mode

This could easily be made to run during login (possibly as a system
service as well, I hadn't thought of that before but it sounds
plausible) if you wanted to have an "immersion effect" although any
Windows hot-keys (ALT-TAB, ALT-F4, etc...) would affect the window and
not the LTSP system.

J. Theriault
administrator at maginetworks.com