[K12OSN] Can't change IP address for eth1?!?!

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Fri May 7 19:39:16 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-05-07 at 14:20, Duane Wilson wrote:
> 	troubleshooting intermitent problem with eth1.  I changed ip address to
> 192.168.2.1 and connected my laptop directly to it with a crossover cable.
> 	Done troubleshooting and now am trying to change back to the internet
> ip address I started with.  Changed the setting in
> /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices/ifcfg-eth1.  Rebooted.
>
> ifconfig still shows 192.168.2.1.
>
> Did a cold reboot - no change!

The new boot-up scheme allows you to set up default and named profiles
that override the last settings when you reboot.  I'm not sure where
or if the details are documented, but if you change the system
address and name with the redhat-config-network GUI and save it
the right files get updated.  If you don't have X running on
the console you can ssh in from an X session elsewhere to
run it.

---
  Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com