[K12OSN] [Ltsp-discuss] Novell and LTSP

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Fri May 7 21:56:47 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-05-07 at 16:39, dalen wrote:
> > I think an interesting approach would be some sort of
> > service location protocol where an app server would advertise its
> > services, capacity, and load so when someone on a client clicks
> > a menu item or icon to start an application it would automatically
> > start on some machine already running that app with available
> > capacity if possible.  That introduces some new issues about user
> > authentication and preferences that could be handled through
> > LDAP or Novell's Directory Services.
>
> I wonder if Apple Rendezvous could be modified to do this?

I don't think it would take any modification for the service
location part - that is it's purpose.  I'm not sure about
providing capacity/load info to automatically pick one
of several choices, but that is probably already in the design.
It would also be nice if the desktop menus could automatically
pick up the available services and merge them into the local
programs normally shown.

---
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com