[K12OSN] strange install error

Dennis Daniels ddaniels at magic.fr
Sat May 8 01:58:55 UTC 2004

I concur, Les' idea is ideal! NFS install is very easy and quite a time
saver. We had given up on playing with mode_line edits, old monitors are
plentiful!,  and went with full install on clients. The fat-clients now
have full installs of LTSP but we set them in the bash to access the
server via X -query. The setup is easier; installing via NFS is a snap
compared to playing with mode_line. The clients need a 3 gig HD, which
are pretty easy to come by, an NFS server with the ISOs and a boot disk.
Here are the steps we used to get some older machines/ monitors off the
heap and into the classroom.

http://www.dennisgdaniels.com/tiki-index.php?page=K12LTSP%20Network%20Install

I've tried using micro-knoppix installs to do the same but X -query
didn't work for some reason... for older machines and installs this
might be the way to go... using a super driver installer like knoppix to
load everything to get old monitors etc. working and then X -query to
the LTSP server to avoid the fuss and muss of configuring obscure and
dated hardware settings.

best
Dennis