[K12OSN] Re: Making donations work better (was: Pentium 166 mHz Machines as Clients?)

Steven Santos Steven at stevensantos.com
Sat May 8 17:23:04 UTC 2004

> What Aunt Tilly needs is for somebody to drop the whole shebang in her
> class, tell her how to operate what she needs to operate and tell her her
> to leave the rest of it alone.

> Given the robustness of this approach and the high degree of uptime,
> K12LTSP should be PERFECT for the Tilly's of the world.
>
> Start of Day:
> Turn on server
> <pause>
> Turn on clents
>
> End of Day:
> Same as above, in reverse.
> :-)

While I for the most part agree with you, I do think that adding an
additional terminal to an existing K12LTSP network should *NOT* require
the IT guru to come down and configure it by hand.  Adding a new terminal
SHOULD be something that any teacher can do, without needing the IT guru
to do it for them.

4 computers used to work really well for Aunt Tilly, but lately she feels
she needs a fifth workstation in the classroom.  So jonny brings in his
old computer to donate to the class lab.  Aunt Tilly plugs it in (power,
kbd, mouse, speakers, network), inserts uber CD and powers up.  Teacher
follows the setup wizard through its couple of steps.  New terminal is
now properly configured as a thin client, and is ready to go.

Or, for the guy (or gal) that gets stuck setting up the new lab with all
of the donated terminals: Tech plugs in the new system (power, kbd, mouse,
network, speakers), inserts uber CD and powers up.  Follows (or scripts)
the setup wizard through its couple of steps.  The new terminal is now
properly configured as a thin client, and is ready to go.  Rinse, lather,
and repeat for all additional workstations.

I have to think creating such a tool is an easier way than doing it by
hand every time.  YMMV.

Steven Santos

Email : Steven at StevenSantos.com
Web   : www.CircusNews.com