[K12OSN] Re: Making donations work better (was: Pentium 166 mHz Machines as Clients?)

Terrell Prude', Jr. microman at cmosnetworks.com
Sat May 8 18:20:18 UTC 2004

Steven Santos wrote:

>>What Aunt Tilly needs is for somebody to drop the whole shebang in her
>>class, tell her how to operate what she needs to operate and tell her her
>>to leave the rest of it alone.
>>

>>Given the robustness of this approach and the high degree of uptime,
>>K12LTSP should be PERFECT for the Tilly's of the world.
>>
>>Start of Day:
>>Turn on server
>><pause>
>>Turn on clents
>>
>>End of Day:
>>Same as above, in reverse.
>>:-)
>>

>While I for the most part agree with you, I do think that adding an
>additional terminal to an existing K12LTSP network should *NOT* require
>the IT guru to come down and configure it by hand.  Adding a new terminal
>SHOULD be something that any teacher can do, without needing the IT guru
>to do it for them.

http://www.disklessworkstations.com is the answer to that.  Aunt Tilly
can just plug it in, turn it on, and she's done.

That said, the IT staff should always, always be gone through when
adding anything--*anything*--to the school network.  Teachers should not
be just popping things onto a network willy-nilly.  That spells trouble;
I know this from long experience.

--TP