[K12OSN] Novell and LTSP

Joe Guenther jguenther at chinooksedge.ab.ca
Sun May 9 04:55:21 UTC 2004

I attended a Novell / HP seminar on Wednesday in Calgary.  They talked alot
about moving your enterprise to linux - take out your unix servers and put
in linx.  Interestingly they did NOT talk about Windows servers.  They also
talked about deploying linux on the desktop.

They stated that Novell is now the #1 contributor to:
Gnome - part of the Ximian acquisition
KDE - part of SUSE
momo - Ximian
and a few others that I cannot recall.

At the end of the presentation they showed what the next generation of
Novell would look like. ... all the normal Novell stuff but running on Linux
but not called Netware 7 but rather Open Enterprise Server.  You can either
install it with a Linux kernel or with a Netware kernel - whatever best fits
your network.  Their proven eDirectory will be a very welcome addition to
the linux world.  We must also remember that they now have the one
alternative to Microsoft Exchange server for linux ... Groupwise 6.5 on
linux.  AFAIK this is the only real groupware solution available on linux
... with email, calendaring, scheduling, document collaboration, etc.  This
will be interesting to watch to see if GroupWise takes off.  Some of their
other stuff ... the iFolder also seems VERY cool.  They also have iManager
which is their eDirectory, etc management tool totally ported to be web
based.  That is a move away from their Console1 java tool or the windows
based Netware administrator.  So all in all a LOT cooking on the server
side..

Then in one of the later slides in the presentation they showed the next
generation of desktop - no screen shot though, just a nice logo.  Currently
they push the Ximian Desktop 2 based on Gnome. The next one will be called
Novell Desktop with their branding and color to it.  I wonder what it will
be based on, Gnome or KDE?  or will they take the Redhat Bluecurve idea a
step farther and melt the look and feel to make both be similar??

The last slide had a one line mention of LTSP ... no further mention.  But a
big part of the presentation was about Linux on the desktop... what can all
be run now, using WINE or CrossOver Office for those that are not native
linux yet. (in fact their XD2 apparently includes CrossOver office....???
did not know that.)  Now with Jim giving more of the details, this is
certainly to be watched.  Novell has suddenly become a VERY BIG player in
the linux world.

Novell then would also have have a thin client solution, just like Sun, or
Microsoft or Citrix ... but based on open source!!  Sounds like fun to
watch.

greetings
Joe Guenther