[K12OSN] Re: Making donations work better

Terrell Prude', Jr. microman at cmosnetworks.com
Sun May 9 23:02:30 UTC 2004

cliebow at downeast.net wrote:

>yerrell-there is no way they will let yourun dhcp on alternate port..?they
>let you do tftp on 69 when they don't use it ..nfs on 2049 and they can't
>see it..why not dhcp on 1001 or 1067?
>I love doing it this way and have all my schools running this way..
>only problem i have ha in a year was someone starting internet connection
>sharing on a win box which hardxodes it to 192.168.0.1 which is also my
>gateway..........chuck

Nope, not allowed.  Written policy says only the official DHCP server is
allowed on the network.  Of course, since I'm the DHCP server
administrator, I can do what I want with it.  :-)  But I cannot add
another one.  Of course, Aunt Tilly the teacher wouldn't know the first
thing about DHCP servers at all, let alone running them on nonstandard
ports.  We've got to remember, we're talking about Aunt Tilly and
donated gear here.

I've seen others on this list describe their own situations, similar to
my own, except they're not the DHCP server admins, so they've got to go
beg.  When it's found that they've put a second DHCP server (the K12LTSP
one) on the network, they've reported getting in trouble, and sometimes
it's because they're reversed the Ethernet connections on the K12LTSP
server (we all know what that does).  A setup like mine would be a
perfect fit for these folks, thus respecting both the IT staff and the
existing infrastructure.

<RANT>

This is a major reason why I have trouble with the notion of Aunt Tilly
the teacher standing up gear on the network--of any sort--without going
through the IT folks first.  Our own school LANs have gotten nailed
several times by the Aunt Tillys of the world bringing in their wireless
access points from home.  These things have their internal DHCP servers
turned on to give out 192.168's (remember, we have 10.x.x.x subnets!) so
when they hook them up to the school network, they take out the entire
school.  Yes, this is in violation of written policy.  Being the network
infrastructure guy, I have to go track down these rogue W.A.P.'s when it
happens.  During all this, I get to deal with principals, vice
principals, and teachers trying to yell at me as if it's *my* fault.
Thus, I have a major problem with this.

Aunt Tilly needs to leave the network A-L-O-N-E--workstation, thin
client, server, or otherwise.  It's not her job.  That's why we IT folks
are here.

</RANT>

--TP