[K12OSN] Re: Making donations work better

Dennis Daniels ddaniels at magic.fr
Mon May 10 04:15:30 UTC 2004

Terrell,
I appreciate your perspective and you're right, there are a lot of
things that Aunt Tilly shouldn't do on a network but keep in mind that
change in the classroom never comes from the top; it comes from teachers
like me who, having worked in the 'real world' of networked offices and
instant communications with co-workers experience culture shock walking
backwards in time into the classrooms of most schools today. Most of our
students are graduating; ready for 19th century technology, not the 21st.

I've been able to count on my IT folks at school to say no to every
request I've made, to let work orders go stale for months and ignore my
requests for simple things like homework drop boxes on the school's
network. I don't have access to POP, can't install anything on my
workstation and can't publish students' grades on the schools' website
because of 'security issues'. I imagine, if you're a school admin, which
it sounds like you are, then you're teachers are happy campers. My
teacher friends, on other campuses, have nothing but horror stories,
echoing mine, about their IT situation.

What I'm saying is that IT folks are often NOT there, have never taught,
and have no idea what it means to face a room full of students who don't
have log-ins or have to tell them 'the network is down ... again'. I
imagine your teachers are lucky. The one's I know, who are trying to use
the network provided by the IT folks, receive miserable service; ergo my
choice to build my own and escape the tyranny of the 'nay-sayers' in IT.

This dialog is very useful in my opinion. This list is often about
hardware purchases, or software settings but rarely about what it's like
for the 'little guy' using the K12LTSP on a daily basis in the classroom
with students and the pressures that entails. My respect for what you
do, Terrell, and the rest of the admins on this, list is enormous. I'm
an admin now because I have to be, not because I want to be, and it's a
damn hard job. Making it easier for more teachers like me to set up
micro-networks in schools, a little haven of sanity in the chaos that is
  most school's IT network, is a big and worthy goal. Because, traction
for ideas like K12LTSP only comes from teachers who get it working and
running, and showing it off to all curious and the nay-sayers, is the
only way it will be embraced in the larger context. The easier it is to
cycle in donated hardware and to build larger networks the more likely
we'll be able to give our students access to the tools they will need to
be productive members of an increasingly technically sophisticated world.

best,
Dennis

best,
Dennis